Spiritual Weightlifting

people, things, ideas that make our lives lighter

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

PODCAST

Right then. Strange one this. I have chosen the word "PODCAST" as today's SPIRITUAL WEIGHTLIFTER. Yes, I have specific podcasts in mind that will feature as SPIRITUAL WEIGHTLIFTERS of the future, but why have I chosen the word as such?

Well it has something to do with this story. It seems that podcasting has made such an impression that the word has been declared "Word of the Year" by the New Oxford American Dictionary.



This, for me is a remarkable achievement, considering that the word was almost unheard of this time last year. How things move on apace in the world of technology. And how great it is to learn a lesson from the fact that it is possible to make an impact from grass roots level; after all that's where podcasts first sprang from.

People may argue about what makes podcasts so special, but the truth is, whatever you think about them, they are changing the way that we listen to broadcasts, and they have empowered the person at home (regardless of age, sex or technical know-how) with a story to tell, to be be able to do so in a simple way.

"Podcast was considered for inclusion last year, but we found that not enough people were using it, or were even familiar with the concept," said Erin McKean, editor-in-chief of the New Oxford American Dictionary.
"This year it's a completely different story. The word has finally caught up with the rest of the iPod phenomenon."

I won't link to my favourite podcasts from this article, for those are SPIRITUAL WEGHTLIFTERS of the future. For now, as a sometime podcaster myself, I just want to savour the moment that I feel I played some minor role in a revolution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home