Spiritual Weightlifting

people, things, ideas that make our lives lighter

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

CINNAMON

We all know the onslaught of Christmas is upon us. I absolutely hate to see the Christmas decorations go up in August and supermarkets selling Chrismas gifts from early September.

However, I feel a lot better when I smell the heady aroma of cinnamon - whether it be in bakery products (yum!) or scented candles burning - that aroma is when I REALLY feel that the holiday time is nigh. It HAS TO BE in the Christmas season - for some reason or other I am left somewhat nonplussed by the scent of cinnamon throughout the rest of the year. It must be something to do with the way that smells trigger past memories I think. I associate cinnamon with happy Christmas events when I was much, much younger!

I find it interesting that cinnamon comes from a tree the flowers of which reputedly smell foul. So the most unlikely portion (the bark) of the most unremarkable evergreen tree, with disagreably scented flowers, comes a distinctive odour that is instantly recognisable and capable of stimulating stong memories. Truly a case of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

No matter how stressed I get with queues in shops or business of public transport at this time, I find the aroma of cinnamon relaxes me and truly proves its worth as a SPIRITUAL WEIGHTLIFTER.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home