Spiritual Weightlifting

people, things, ideas that make our lives lighter

Thursday, December 29, 2005

JURASSIC PARK – OPERATION GENESIS (PS2)


There was only one single present that was top of my 9-year old son’s Christmas list this year. Jurassic Park – Operation Genesis for his Playstation 2.

Well, thankfully despite it being a game that is over a year old, Santa was able to find a copy and bring it for Euan. To say he was pleased is an understatement.

Anyhow, watching him play this game – an interesting variant on the theme park simulations (like this, and this ) that are otherwise available – has made me realise just how powerfully educational these sort of packages are. If only they could be widely used in schools…

Already in the past 2-3 days I have seen evidence of my son’s love for animals as he lovingly tends his new dinosaur exhibits. He sheds a tear and has sombre moments when his dinosaurs expire (as they can only live for 1 year or so). His joy when new dinosaur strains are discovered by his team of roving scientists (allowing him to clone them for his park) is unbridled. He wants to play this game socially and he and his friend Craig have collaborated on all sorts of decisions – scotching the myth that game-playing is a solitary pastime. In fact as I write this he’s raced round to see if Craig can come to see the new dinosaurs he has created.

The critical analysis of what has happened in the games is really quite detailed. Euan telling Craig about the Brachiosaurus he has just found was fantastically detailed.

Why do I want to share this with you? Well it’s simply that I am overjoyed that my son is able to experience such simulations so early in his life. In this game he is learning about DNA, financial wheeler-dealing, dietary needs, damage limitation, landscaping. I know for certain that I never ever had this sort of opportunity at such an early age. My heart soars at the prospects my wee boy has throughout the rest of his education having had this sort of experience at such an early age.

Jurassic Park is a SPIRITUAL WEIGHTLIFTER par excellence. Even the accompanying soundtrack is a delight and makes the game as much fun to watch as it is to play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home